Resources from Session 4 and Session 5 of the Let’s Get To Work Virtual Conference 2020
- Session 4 – Thursday, July 2, 2020
- Session 5 – Thursday, July 9, 2020
- Dr June Alexander PhD, MDisSt, BAppSc(DD), DipCommServ (FSW), CertIV (AWT)
- Lecturer at Flinders University
- Academic Director Learning Programs at Centre for Disability Employment Research and Practice (CDERP)
Customised Employment (CE) is a US system to support employees with disabilities to gain and maintain employment.
It has two fundamental underlying principles
- Everyone can work in Open Employment
- Those with complex disabilities are disadvantaged by traditional job-seeking practices.
Customised Employment is a process that matches a person with disability to the needs of an employer, creating a match in a customised job. It is based on identifying the strengths of a person with a disability through a process called ‘Discovery.’
Additionally, CE includes a job development process and ongoing job training and supports.
CE considers the unique person, that is, their age, type of disability, interests and talents, while also recognising geographical location, support systems and resources. Good job matching leads to both individuals and companies enjoying the benefits of CE which results in employee retention.
Session Video Replay
We were not able to secure permission to host a replay of these sessions on our website. However, we’ll add a presentation overview soon.
Systematic Instruction Demonstration
Links mentioned in June’s presentations
Customised Employment: Interviewing
Developing Vocational Themes: Workbook
NDIS New Price Guide 1st July 2020
Customised Employment: Video Resumes
Workplace Culture Reference:
- Ellenkamp, J. J. H., Brouwers, E. P. M., Embregts, P. J. C. M., Joosen, M. C. W., &; van Weeghel, J. (2016). Work Environment-Related Factors in Obtaining and Maintaining Work in a Competitive Employment Setting for Employees with Intellectual Disabilities: A Systematic Review. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 26(1), 56-69.doi:10.1007/s10926-015-9586-1
Q&A on Customised Employment: Informational Interviews
- https://griffinhammis.typepad.com/Kansas_Employment_Support_Digital_Library/JobAnalysis Record Example Jim.pdf
- The Job Developer’s Handbook: Practical Tactics for Customized Employment – By Cary Griffin, David Hammis, Tammara Geary, Steve Hall
- Valued Lives – https://microenterprises.valuedlives.org.au/
Self-guided discovery facilitator’s guide helping people to discover their own path to employment
Marc Gold & Associates
CDERP for training in Customised Employment
Flinders University Developmental Educators Course