Start: Thu 11 Feb, 2021 12:00End: Thu 11 Feb, 2021 13:30
Presented by: Jan Kruger, Fiona McIntosh
A School To Work Webinar for Students in Years 11 and 12
Many people assume that a student with disability will struggle to find work in Open Employment. Yet, with the right supports, young Australians with disability are taking their rightful place in the workforce. They earn a living, contribute positively to their workplace, and acquire skills for future employment.
During these final years of secondary school, it’s important for students with disability and their families to be planning for their future in the workforce.
In this introductory workshop, we’ll help you and your student to do this planning. Join us during lunch for 90 minutes of learning and discussion.
In This Webinar You Will
- Learn why having a job is important for everyone, especially people with disability
- Understand the importance of having a clear vision for your student’s future
- See examples of vision statements and learn how to create your own
- Hear a brief history of employment creation models
- Learn how to identify your student’s attributes, strengths and interests
- Understand how to map attributes, strengths and interests to potential future work roles
- Learn how to find workplaces that match your student’s attributes
- Get tips for setting up
- initial experiences of work
- work experience placements
- Australian School Based Apprenticeships
- Learn how to highlight positive and possible contributions to prospective employers
- Learn how to set young people up for success
- Find out where to get support
- See examples of what is possible. We’ll share stories of young people with disability
- doing work experience
- having part-time jobs while still at school
- entering paid work as school leavers and
- establishing their own microenterprise (small business).
The School to Work Project aims to inspire, increase the confidence of, and motivate students with disability and their families about work.
This is an introductory webinar designed for students with disability in Years 11 and 12 and their families. Please also plan to attend School To Work – Finding Work – The Next Steps which will be held on February 18, 2021.
More free webinars and workshops will be held throughout 2021.
Will There Be A Replay?
There will be a replay. It will only be available for people who register for this event, and for a short time only.
Not Located in the ACT?
You are very welcome to register for this event, no matter where you are located. Please note that some information in these webinars may be specific to the Australian Capital Territory. You might also be interested in the webinars run by our partner organisations:
- Webinars run by Resourcing Inclusive Communities (An initiative of Family Advocacy) in New South Wales
- Webinars run by CRU (Community Resource Unit) in Queensland
This project is being provided as part of the Community Inclusion Capacity Development program through The Department of Social Services.
Meet the Speakers
Jan Kruger is the Executive Director of Imagine More. She and her husband have four beautiful adult children. Their youngest, Jack, is 18 years old, and is an Oztag player, downhill skier, friend and happens to have Down syndrome. Jack completed Year 12 at Daramalan College in December 2020. He is currently working as an After School Care Educator.
Jack has had a number of work experience placements and paid work roles during his school years. These include a small lawnmowing business that he operated with his cousin, a soccer referee at the local soccer club, and an Australian School-Based Apprenticeship (ASBA) in Business Administration.
Jan will share some insights, stories and strategies derived from Jack’s employment journey and the experiences of other students and recent school leavers with disability.
Fiona joined Imagine More in November 2020 as our School To Work Coordinator.