Start: Wed 19 Jul, 2023 09:30End: Wed 19 Jul, 2023 17:00
Location: Youth Coalition of the ACT, 46 Clianthus Street, O'Connor ACT
An in-person full-day workshop exploring individualised and innovative ways that people with a disability have used to create their own homes while getting the support they need.
- Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023
- 9:30 AM – 5.00 PM
What this workshop is about
Home is a vital part of our lives. It provides us with security, privacy, comfort and control. It also reflects our identity, adulthood, and a deep sense of who we are and how we connect and belong in our neighbourhood.
Yet for many people, particularly those with intellectual disability and Autism, home is designed by others. Individuals are left with little control over the decisions that most people take for granted. Some families wonder if it’s even possible for their family members to live in their own homes.
In this practical and interactive workshop, we will explore individualised and innovative ways that people with a disability have used to create their own homes while getting the support they need.
This workshop has been designed specifically with residents of the ACT and surrounding regions in mind. If you are located in another state or territory, please see below for workshops that are relevant to your state or territory.
What we will discuss in this workshop
- What it really means to have your own home
- The essential elements that make a person’s home their own
- How to find the inspiration and certainty that it’s possible for a person with disability to have their own home
- Creating and holding a personalised vision for home
- First steps to consider when creating a home of your own that’s unique to you
- How to test ideas to live in your own home and how to implement the ones that work
- A range of home options and creative supports
- Working collaboratively to address common barriers, challenges and fears
- The concept of Home as a part of having a good life within a community and neighbourhood
- Setting up for long-term safety and success
- Stories about people living in their own homes with a range of support.
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop will be relevant to people with developmental disabilities, their families and supporters as they think through how they might move into and thrive in a home they can call their own.
How to Register
Registrations close: Friday, July 14 2021, at 5:00 pm AEST
Register for the My Home My Way workshop
We aim to ensure that people have equal access to our events. If you need alternative formats or other reasonable adjustments, please contact us by email: anne(at)imaginemore.org.au with your request by Monday, July 10, so that arrangements, where possible, can be made.
Coming to a State near you!
It was financially assisted through an Information, Linkages and Capacity-Building Grant from the Department of Social Services,
If you are located outside of the ACT and the local region, please consider attending the workshop hosted in your state or territory by your local National Alliance of Capacity Building Organisations (NACBO) member. You’ll hear information that is tailored to your location.
- Tuesday, 27 and Friday, 30 June 2023
- Please contact Community Resource Unit for more information
- Dates TBA
- Workshop hosted by Julia Farr Purple Orange
Victoria and Tasmania
- Tuesday, 2 May and 9 May 2023
- This workshop has ended. Please contact Belonging Matters for more information
Western Australia and Northern Territory
- Wednesday, May 10, 2023
- This event has ended. Please contact Valued Lives for more information.
New South Wales
- Friday, 28 April 2023
- This event has ended. Please contact Resourcing Inclusive Lives for more information.
Resources about Home developed through NACBO partners
My Home, My Way website
This website contains many resources, often written or produced by people with a disability and their supporters. These resources will assist in holding a vision for each person, no matter what their needs, to live in their own home with a range of personally tailored supports.
My Home, My Way podcast
This podcast contains information and stories from people with a disability and their supporters.
ILO (Individualised Living Options) Toolkit
A Toolkit to support people with disability who are interested in pursuing an Individualised Living Option (ILO) through the NDIS. To get support with ILO arrangements, please reach out directly to your local NACBO organisation.