Start: Thu 24 Nov, 2022 12:00End: Fri 16 Dec, 2022 17:00
Location: Online, via Zoom
During November 2022, we presented a short webinar series called School to Work: Finding Work. It consisted of two 90-minute webinars
- Getting started (Thursday, 17 November 2022)
- The next steps (Thursday, 24 November 2022)
In these webinars, we explored how students with disability in Years 11 and 12 can get started towards finding meaningful work during and after school. During these final years of secondary school, it’s important for students with disability and their families to be planning for their future in the workforce. These webinars examined what this planning could look like.
If you missed the live webinars, you can still watch the replays for a limited time.
About these webinars
There are two 90-minute webinars in this series.
Webinar 1 – Finding Work: Getting Started
Thursday, 17 November 2022, from 4:00 to 5:30 pm AEDT
- Learn why having a job is important for everyone, especially people with disability
- Understand the importance of having a clear vision for your student’s future
- See examples of vision statements and learn how to create your own
- Hear a brief history of employment creation models
- Learn how to identify your student’s attributes, strengths and interests
- Understand how to map attributes, strengths and interests to potential future work roles
- Learn how to find workplaces that match your student’s attributes
- Get tips for setting up
- initial experiences of work
- work experience placements
- Australian School Based Apprenticeships
- Learn how to highlight positive and possible contributions to prospective employers
- Learn how to set young people up for success
- Find out where to get support
- See examples of what is possible. We’ll share stories of young people with disability
- doing work experience
- having part-time jobs while still at school
- entering paid work as school leavers and
- establishing their own microenterprise (small business).
Webinar 2 – Finding Work: The next steps
Thursday, 24 November 2022, from 4:00 to 5:30 pm AEDT
- An overview of Customised Employment
- Discovering the person’s qualities
- understanding the Discovery Process
- working with others in Discovery
- Fostering employment opportunities
- the proposal
- researching organisations
- examples of a pitch
- positive introductions and using valued language
- asking for interview accommodations and alternatives
- asking for a wage
- Engaging employment supports
- general considerations
- employing your own job coach
- questions for service providers
- NDIS planning
- task analysis and systematic instruction
- growth and career development.
- Important considerations
- Examples of local microenterprises
- Australian School-Based Apprenticeships (ASBAs)
Where will I find the replays?
- The replays will be housed in our online portal
- You must register to access the porta
For how long will the replays be available?
- The replays will be available online and on-demand until 5:00 pm on Friday, 16 December 2022
- You must register to access the replays
- Registration is free, thanks to funding from the Australian Department of Social Services.
- Your registration gives you access to both webinars in the School to Work: Finding Work series.
Who should attend?
The information in this series is primarily for families of students with disability in Years 11-12.
It is also relevant to families of recent school leavers.
People with disability, career advisers, school staff, and services that support people with disability will also gain much from watching.
If you have watched this series before, you are welcome to register again.
You are very welcome to register for this event, no matter where you are located. Please note that some information in these webinars may be specific to the Australian Capital Territory. You might also be interested in the webinars run by our partner organisations:
- Webinars run by Resourcing Inclusive Communities (An initiative of Family Advocacy) in New South Wales
- Webinars run by CRU (Community Resource Unit) in Queensland
Other webinars in the Foundational series
There are two other events in the School to Work Foundational series, each aimed at the age and stage of the students. You are welcome to register for these webinars as well, or please share the details with other families.