We are running our Inclusive Education Peer Group a little differently this year.
We are asking people who want to join the Inclusive Education Peer Support Group to first attend a one-day workshop. The workshop is called Securing the Good Life with Inclusive Education. The workshop will be held later this year at a date to be determined. A very limited number of places will be available.
Attendees of this workshop will then be invited to join an Inclusive Education Peer Group. The Peer Group will meet at regular times, face-to-face in Canberra. These times will be set by consultation with Group members to ensure that everyone can attend.
This will be the only way to join the Inclusive Education Peer Group in 2021. We feel that this approach will create a cohesive and productive experience for the Peer Group members.
About the Workshop
Securing the Good Life with Inclusive Education
When children with disability are included in a mainstream class in their local school, everyone benefits in the short and long term. But even in 2021, it can be difficult for our sons and daughters with disability to be effectively included in the same school as their siblings, friends, and neighbours.
Many families have found that it’s helpful to have a working knowledge of educational inclusion and to know what the school needs to provide to make inclusion possible. It’s also critical to know how to ask for these in a manner that strengthens the relationship between the school and the family.
Join us for a day to explore
- What is inclusive education?
- Understanding the benefits of inclusive education for all students
- Universal Design for Learning and why is it important
- Tips for developing Individual Learning Plans
- Tips for meetings with school staff
- What supports and safeguards should look like
- How to build collaborative partnerships with schools
- The importance of friendships and social connections
- Student and family stories on their inclusive education experience
About the Inclusive Education Peer Group
This Peer Group will meet at regular times, face-to-face in Canberra. These times will be set by consultation with Group members to ensure that everyone can attend.
By first attending the workshop, all Peer Group members will:
- understand what Inclusive Education means and are committed to achieving it for their son or daughter
- have the same foundational knowledge as their peers so that the Group can “hit the ground running, all in the same direction: towards Inclusion!
- have the opportunity to really get to know each other and to feel comfortable sharing their experiences. We anticipate that this will enhance the productivity and value of the Group to its members.
If you would like to join us, please add your name to the Inclusive Education Workshop and Peer Group Notification List. We’ll contact you as soon as we have enough interest to form the Peer Group.
If you have any questions, please contact Anne: email@example.com