In this practical, interactive session, Janet zeroed in on some essential elements and strategies that ensure that you and your team are on your way to making a lasting and positive difference in the lifestyle and experience of your family member.
Janet explains how to
- Discover which elements to focus on to make the most significant difference in a good life in community with your family member
- Zero in on the different perspectives of all Team members – Person, Family, Support – and why this matters
- Define “good support” – what does it look like, feel like, and sound like when it happens, and what gets in the way
- Learn how to orient new staff to the position of being a bridge to community
- Explore the concept of being a bridge:
- how your presence can impact belonging
- what “fading” can look like, and
- the inherent but essential tensions to master
- Learn how to harness resilience
- Discover the power of thinking in metaphor
Video playing time: 1 hour, 27 minutes
About Janet Klees
Janet Klees is the Executive Director of the Durham Association for Family Resources and Support, a family-centred, SRV-anchored resource and support centre for families interested in building good, ordinary lives in community for and with their family members with disability.
Janet has spoken many times at our events over the years. She is a popular presenter because of her ability to communicate the nuances of supporting people with disability to enjoy the good things of life.