You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.
- Jim Stovall
Our Peer Support Groups support families to help their family members with disability seek out, enjoy and maintain The Good Life. Each group provides an opportunity for learning, discussion, sharing, troubleshooting, and celebrating. Members are encouraged to discuss their ideas and plans and to seek inspiration from other’s stories and actions. Groups are facilitated by our team to ensure a safe, welcoming and supportive forum in which every member can be heard.
We invite you to join us. It doesn’t matter if you are very new to the journey or a seasoned traveller. We can all learn something from others and give and receive support.
We are looking forward to welcoming past Peer Group members and many new faces to this year’s Groups.
Peer Support Group Themes for 2021
- Imagining Home
- (Coming later in 2021) Inclusive Education
- (Coming later in 2021) Self-Managing NDIS
Meeting Dates and Times
- Meetings are held every two months on Zoom
- To keep you moving towards your goals, you’ll have access to resources and activities in the weeks between meetings
You’ll find a list of meeting dates on each Peer Group page.
Joining a Peer Group
You are welcome to join as many groups as you wish. Our peer groups are free to attend but you must first register to get the Zoom room link and to receive notifications. You only need to register once to attend every session.
Once you sign up, you’ll receive notification of the upcoming dates and topics via email.
In this time of COVID-19, we conduct all meetings on the Zoom platform.
Join A Peer Group
Employment Peer Support Group
It’s often difficult for people with intellectual disability or autism to find meaningful employment. That’s why we established the Employment Peer Support Group. It’s for families supporting their sons and daughters with developmental disability to
- find work experience opportunities
- find paid casual or part-time work while still at school
- establish their own microenterprise
- find meaningful customised open employment.
Imagining Home Peer Support Group
Does your family member with disability want to move out of the family home and into their own place? Whether it’s an apartment shared with friends or a place all to themselves, this can take a lot of thought and planning..
This peer group supports families striving to help their family member with disability find a place to call home.
About the Peer Groups
- We meet on a set day and time for 60 minutes
- Meetings are facilitated by team members from Imagine More
- Meetings are free to attend, thanks to funding from the Department of Social Services.
- We will meet virtually on Zoom
- You can choose whether to appear on camera or whether to speak. You are welcome to listen until you are ready to share.
- You will receive an email reminder and Zoom link a few days before each session. Please RSVP so that we know you’ll be joining us each month.
- Participant discussion will not be recorded. There will not be a replay of the meeting.