It’s often difficult for people with disability to find meaningful employment, especially those with an intellectual impairment or autism. That’s why we established the Customised Employment Peer Support Group for 2022.
The group will be action-focused. Therefore, it will be most beneficial to those who are actively seeking to utilise this process this year. It will suit families who are
- starting with discovery
- setting up a job or work experience or
- looking at how to support a person already in a job.
The group provides a friendly, strengths-based space to share stories, challenges, suggestions, and successes with other family peers.
Our Vision for Employment for People with Disability
Imagine More believes that all people with disability can work.
To find meaningful work, we must first:
- understand who the person is
- identify their strengths, attributes and interests
- match these to a job or business idea that has the right conditions for success
- identify the best person to mentor the person in their job
We believe that we should not congregate people in the workplace based on their disability.
About this Peer Group
The Customised Employment Peer Group is for families who are interested in, or partway into, creating individualised employment opportunities for their family members. Each session will focus on one aspect of the customised employment approach.
This peer group only focuses on strategies that will assist families to find regular work roles for their child or family member. Together we’ll figure out what supports they need to succeed.
Dates and Times
This Group meets on the fourth Thursday of each month from 12:30 – 1:30 PM.
Meeting dates for 2022 are:
- 24 February
- 24 March
- 28 April
- 26 May
- 23 June
- 28 July
- 25 August
- 29 September
- 27 October
- 24 November
Join the Customised Employment Peer Support Group
Please note there are very limited places in this peer group so we are currently seeking expressions of interest. Places will be allocated based on the following criteria:
- those who are wanting to pursue or are actively pursuing any stage of customised employment for their family member in 2022 (this includes discovery, work experience, job development, job support)
- those who have attended previous Employment Peer Groups
- those who reside in the ACT and the surrounding region.
- those who can commit to attending each session*
*We understand that sometimes unexpected absences will occur; however, please only apply if you are confident you can attend each peer group session. We will follow up personally with any peer group member that misses two consecutive sessions. If they can no longer commit to monthly meetings, we will offer their place to the next person on the waitlist.
Please note that peer sessions are not recorded due to the personal nature of the conversations, so the only way to participate is via live attendance.
Please apply by completing the form via the button below.
About this Peer Group
- We meet for 60 minutes
- Meetings facilitators are Jan Kruger and Fiona McIntosh
- Meetings are free to attend, thanks to Department of Social Services funding
- All peer group meetings are virtual meetings using the Zoom platform
- You will receive an email reminder and Zoom link before each session
- Peer group meetings not be recorded for viewing at alternate times (no replay will be available)
- If you have any questions about the Peer Group, please get in touch with Fiona – email@example.com.