- A supportive group of like-minded families pursuing an inclusive education for their children with disability
- Meets 1:30 – 2:30 PM on the third Thursday of each month
- Apply to join the Inclusive Education Peer Group in 2023
In 2023, our Inclusive Education Peer Group will bring together families who want to pursue or are already pursuing an authentic inclusive education. The group is relevant for families of students at all levels of education and those yet to start school.
The members’ interests guide the topics for meetings. Sometimes we will invite guest speakers to share their expertise and experiences. Other sessions will consist of discussion and reflection amongst group members.
Benefits of Inclusive Education peer group membership
By its very nature, inclusive education can feel like an isolating journey. This peer group is a place where families pursuing inclusive education can connect. Members come together to share their experiences, lean on each other through challenges, and celebrate successes.
We believe in the power of working with one family at a time towards achieving real change. Sometimes we see changes for the student and their family, those around them, and those who follow.
- “It is always interesting how everyone is on different parts of the same journey.”
- “It’s given me valuable ideas on how to get my son more involved within his school community.”
- “We are not alone, and the system is challenging for all and there is great organisation’s like Imagine More who encourage you to dream big and keep trying.”
– Comments from past members of the Inclusive Education Peer Group –
Dates and Times
This group will meet at 1:30 – 2:30 PM on the third Thursday of each month.
The meeting dates for 2023 are:
- 19 January
- 16 February
- 16 March
- 20 April
- 18 May
- 15 June
- 20 July
- 17 August
- 21 September
- 19 October
- 16 November
- 14 December
There will be a mix of online and face-to-face meetings for the peer group. As often as possible, we will provide options for virtual attendance at our face-to-face meetings here in Canberra.
Join the Inclusive Education Peer Support Group
Please note there are limited places in this peer group, so we are currently seeking expressions of interest. Places will be allocated based on the following criteria:
- those who are actively pursuing inclusive education for their child
- those who have attended previous Inclusive Education workshops and peer groups
- those who reside in the ACT and the surrounding region, and
- those who can commit to attending each session*
We don’t record peer group discussions. The only way to take part is via live attendance.
*We understand that sometimes unexpected absences will occur. Please only apply if you are confident you can attend most peer group sessions.
About the Inclusive Education Peer Group
- Meeting facilitators: Anne Keep and Erosha Bakmiwewa
- Meetings are free to attend, thanks to Department of Social Services funding
- You will receive an email reminder and location details/Zoom link before each session
- We will not record peer group meeting conversations.
- If you have any questions about the Peer Group, please get in touch with Anne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Erosha (email@example.com)
- The Peer Group will meet 1:30 – 2:30 PM on the third Thursday of each month.