Inclusive education can often feel like the road less travelled. Did you know it is your child’s right to attend a school and be fully included? Many families enrol their child with disability in a school, expecting that their child will attend the regular classroom, playground activities, school camps and excursions. Instead, they are often encouraged to segregate their child in a support unit or special school.
Advocating for physical, social and academic inclusion can be difficult, exhausting work. Parents can feel isolated at times when they most need support and understanding. It can be difficult to know what steps to take to achieve the goal of inclusive education. It can be hard to find reliable information, let alone the tactics that work.
We’ve been on this journey for many years. You can read our Vision for Inclusive Education here.
What’s helped us is connecting with peers, people who are travelling the same path. That’s why we established a peer support group about Inclusive Education.
Join our Inclusive Education Peer Support Group
Join our virtual peer group sessions over lunch each month. Hear from guest speakers, connect with other families, and feel supported.
Tuesday, October 20, 2020
12:30 – 1:45 PM
Individual learning plans
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
12:30 – 1:45 PM
Transitioning and the start of the New Year
About the Peer Group
- We meet once a month on a Tuesday
- We meet for 75 minutes from 12:30PM
- Meetings facilitators are Michelle Stuckey, Erosha Bakmiwewa and Jan Kruger
- Meetings are free to attend, thanks to Department of Social Services funding
- All peer session are virtual meetings using the Zoom platform
- Sometimes we will have guest speakers, sometimes we will talk as a group.
- You can choose whether to appear on camera or whether to speak. You are welcome to listen until you are ready to share.
- You will receive an email reminder and Zoom link before each session. Please RSVP so that we know you’ll be joining us each month. The size of the group makes a difference to how it is facilitated.
- We will sometimes record the presentations of our guest speakers. These recordings will be available to watch on our website.
- Participant discussion will not be recorded
- There will not be a replay of meetings
- If you have any questions about the Peer Group, please contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org