Lorna Sullivan explains why the vision of a good life should drive self-management.
About This Workshop
Lorna Sullivan is the Director of Disability Services at Uniting Care Community. She has a long history of working for change in the disability sector. She is dedicated to changing the power dynamics between service systems, people with disabilities and their families.
In this presentation, Lorna talks about how it is the vision of a good life that should drive self-management. She discusses how people with disability can achieve self-governance.
- 2:00 – Self-management is not for everybody
- 3:30 – What are you trying to achieve through self-management?
- 4:00 – The importance of a vision of a good life.
- 9:40 – Do we rely on the government for a good life?
- 10:45 – A dream of a better life
- 15:00 – Raising expectations for those with a disability
- 18:50 – Acting on your vision
- 20:15 – It starts with the person and belief in their potential
- 25:35 – Avoiding premature realism
- 28:00 – The issues of self-determination and personal autonomy
- 31:00 – The A with B model/Shifting the model of authority
- 36:00 – Self-direction and/or self-governance
- 40:35 – How to safeguard self-management
This video was recorded at our Self-management Workshop in 2014