We are excited to welcome John to the Get That Good Life! conference. John will be presenting about shifting mindsets and safeguarding the future.
John Armstrong has worked with people and families of people with a disability for over 40 years. He has worked as a trainer and consultant across many settings with individuals, families and agencies throughout Australia and New Zealand.
John is one of only two Senior Trainers of SRV (Social Role Valorisation) in Australia. He has presented on the topic of SRV in many international forums. More recently, he has written two chapters of the recently-published book: Aging and the Good Things of Life: The Application of Social Role Valorization to Supporting people as They Age.
How To Be Driven by Vision, Not Fear
- Conference Day 1 – Wednesday, October 27
- Details TBA
Sometimes we are driven by fear to select options that seem safe. These might include special schools, group homes, day programs, even “special swimming classes”. Yet, ironically, safety has never come from segregated settings.
Being with valued people in valued places doing valued activities is what keeps people safe.
Having someone in your life committed to your wellbeing is what keeps people safe.
Paid services and grouping people based on disability can’t replicate or replace these critical elements.
In this session, John will provide a framework to help us overcome our fears. He’ll show us how to use our Vision to truly safeguard the lives of people with disability.
A Conversation with John and Jan
Shifting the ‘yes, buts’ and how being known can keep you safe
- Conference Day 2 – Thursday, October 28
- With Jan Kruger
This session will draw from stories shared throughout the conference. John and Jan’s conversation will look at:
- how people with disability exceeded expectations when they had the opportunity
- how being known can keep people safe
- why being present is the first step to being known
- why you don’t need to speak to make connections and hold valued roles
- how support can act as a bridge to connection
- Website: https://johnarmstrong.media/
Learn more about John Armstrong
- John is one of the editors and contributed to chapters to the book Aging and the Good Things of Life: The Application of Social Role Valorization to Supporting People as They Age. Copies of this book can be purchased online from Belonging Matters and Community Resource Unit (CRU)
- John provides access to online training via his website. Self-managing families can use the online portal for the training of their staff in matters crucial to effective and beneficial service for their son or daughter. The training is also available to agencies of all sizes.