Learn why a family moved their daughter from a segregated school setting to a mainstream school.
Erosha Bakmiwewa is a parent of a beautiful nine-year-old daughter with autism. Erosha is passionate about ensuring her daughter is a valued member of the community, contributing and living life to the fullest.
In this presentation, Erosha talks about their journey in education. She explains why they initially picked a segregated setting. She then describes the turning point which convinced them that a mainstream school was the best setting for their daughter to flourish.
- 0:40 – Introducing my daughter in her valued roles
- 1:30 – My vision for my daughter
- 2:30 – My daughter’s challenges
- 4:04 – Her educational journey
- 7:05 – Why did we decide to enrol in a unit?
- 8:36 – What was the turning point?
- 12:50 – What advocacy has been needed
- 15:40 – The benefits of inclusive education
- 18:30 – The challenges
- 19:40 – Why it is worthwhile