We are very excited to welcome Janet to the Get That Good Life! conference. Janet will be talking about building a context for relationships and the role of support.
Janet Klees is the Executive Director of the Durham Association for Family Resources and Support, a family-centred, SRV-anchored resource and support centre for families interested in building good, ordinary lives in community for and with their family members with disability.
Janet has spoken many times at our events over the years. She is a popular presenter because of her ability to communicate the nuances of supporting people with disability to enjoy the good things of life.
At the Get That Good Life! Conference, Janet will be doing the following presentations
- A pre-conference webinar on Monday, October 25
- A presentation on Day 1 of the conference
- Monday, October 25
Building a Powerhouse Team: Families and Their Support
When Families and Paid Supporters share a vision of the role and value of paid support in bringing about a fuller, contributing life in community, then anything is possible!
Families don’t have time or resources to waste, so this session will focus on tactics that are immediately actionable. You’ll learn ways to ensure that paid support leads to meaningful and rich lifestyles that are filled with opportunities for contribution and relationship.
During this two-hour presentation, Janet will focus on the unique role of paid support. She’ll explain how the role can be powerful when both family and paid supporters understand what “effective support” actually means.
You’ll gain clarity about the most crucial role of the supporter: being a bridge to community and relationship. Janet will share stories, strategies, and examples of effective bridge-building. These are based on many years of combined experience of families and supports.
You will learn:
- about support as an essential bridging role
- how to create situations that will provide rich opportunities for building a bridge.
Then Janet will provide some practical tactics, including
- how to turn everyday situations into moments of possibility
- how to think through all support actions and requirements using the “bridge lens”, and
- how to provide direct support to make a lasting difference in people’s lives.
This presentation is a must-see for families and the support workers, coaches, and mentors they employ.
- The role of support
- Conference Day 1: Wednesday, October 27
Toward Mastering the Essentials of the Powerhouse Team
In this practical, interactive session, we will zero in on some essential elements and strategies that ensure that you and your team are on their way to making a lasting and positive difference in the lifestyle and experience of your family member.
Together, we will:
- Discover which elements to focus on to make the most significant difference in a good life in community with your family member
- Zero in on the different perspectives of all Team members – Person, Family, Support – and why this matters
- Define “good support” – what does it look like, feel like, sound like when it happens, and what gets in the way
- Learn how to orient new staff to the position of being a bridge to community
- Explore the concept of being a bridge:
- how your presence can impact belonging
- what “fading” can look like, and
- the inherent but essential tensions to master
- Learn how to harness resilience
- Discover the power of thinking in metaphor
- Details TBA
Learn more about Janet
Our Presence Has Roots
We Come Bearing Gifts
More details coming soon