Daisy Brown will be presenting on Day 1 of the Opening Opportunities conference alongside her mother, Gillian Brown on the theme of Creating opportunities that start with the person: Job development.
About Daisy Brown
16-year-old Daisy is currently in year 12 at Charters Towers School of Distance Education. She is combining schooling (QCE) with a Cert II in animal studies at Central Queensland University via the Start Tafe Now programme. She loves rap music and reformer pilates.
Daisy has a lifelong interest in animals, particularly horses and dogs. She established her career by undertaking a work experience placement in a vet clinic. Her teammates valued her skills in asking questions, using her initiative and monitoring dogs in surgical recovery. As a result, Daisy was offered an ongoing job at the vet and now works 17 hours a week. Her tasks at work include bathing dogs in the hydro bath and providing laser treatment, pre- and post-operative care, and general animal care.
Daisy’s School-to-Work Journey
Daisy Brown and Gillian Brown
Join Gillian and Daisy to hear how Daisy has used her high school years to explore employment and create a seamless transition from year 12 to working life in a job that is a great fit for Daisy. They’ll discuss
- Daisy’s experience of distance learning
- how school-based Work Experience operates under the distance education model
- how paying attention to Daisy’s interests helped identify potential school-based Work Experience opportunities
- how they approached the Veterinary practice to ask for a Work Experience opportunity
- the supports Daisy needed to thrive in the workplace, including:
- having clear instructions about workplace expectations and clearly listed jobs
- assistive technology
- social scripting and helpful phrases
- staff awareness around the impact of her disability and needs in the workplace
- the challenges that have arisen and how they’ve overcome them.
Conference replay is now available
If you weren’t able to attend the Opening Opportunities conference in May 2023, we have some good news for you.
For a limited time, every presentation is available to watch online, on-demand, and for free. All you have to do is register.