Sethmi and her mother, Erosha, will share how her family helped her build a micro-enterprise based on subtle interests they noticed during the Discovery process.
About Sethmi Lekamarachchi
Sethmi is a wonderful daughter, sister, Year 9 student, dancer, speaker and a proud micro business owner.
Sethmi started her journey towards an inclusive education when she was in Year 2, and since then has been a force to be reckoned with. She has been pleasantly surprising her family, teachers and friends with all of her achievements so far.
As a micro business owner, Sethmi has been making gains in finding what motivates her to run a food business. She has proven that nothing is impossible for young people with disability when the right kind of attitude and supports are available!
Creating a micro-enterprise to explore Sethmi’s interests
Sethmi Lekamarachchi and Erosha Bakmiwewa
Erosha’s daughter Sethmi, who is in year 9, is the focus of her presentation. Erosha will share how her family created a micro-enterprise for Sethmi based on subtle interests they noticed during the Discovery process. She’ll explain
- how their family has approached Discovery to learn about Sethmi’s interests, needs and skills
- how they created work experience activities for Sethmi
- how they recognised and tested Sethmi’s interest in food preparation at school and home
- how they thought about a product that Sethmi could make
- how they came up with the idea to approach a food-based business for an opportunity for Sethmi to sell her product
- what this opportunity has taught Sethmi’s family about Sethmi
- what they will be exploring in the future.
Conference replay is now available
If you weren’t able to attend the Opening Opportunities conference in May 2023, we have some good news for you.
For a limited time, every presentation is available to watch online, on-demand, and for free. All you have to do is register.