Erosha will share how her family created a micro-enterprise for their daughter Sethmi based on subtle interests they noticed during the Discovery process.
About Erosha Bakmiwewa
Erosha is a mother of three beautiful children – Sethmi, Jayden and Keisha – and wife to her wonderfully supportive husband, Suranga. Previously, Erosha was a financial analyst, and she is now one of Imagine More’s fabulous facilitators and a postgraduate student at the University of Canberra.
Erosha came across Imagine More at a crucial time in her oldest daughter’s life and, as a result, successfully advocated for Sethmi’s inclusion in mainstream education. She has since used the principles of Social Role Valorisation to carve a pathway for getting the good things in life for Sethmi and her other children.
When she’s not supporting other families to reclaim their dreams for their family members with disability, Erosha is likely to be found cooking for others, entertaining family and friends, engrossed in a good conversation, or working her way through her collection of books.
Creating a micro-enterprise to explore Sethmi’s interests
Sethmi Lekamarachchi and Erosha Bakmiwewa
Erosha’s daughter Sethmi, who is in year 9, is the focus of her presentation. Erosha will share how her family created a micro-enterprise for Sethmi based on subtle interests they noticed during the Discovery process. She’ll explain
- how their family has approached Discovery to learn about Sethmi’s interests, needs and skills
- how they created work experience activities for Sethmi
- how they recognised and tested Sethmi’s interest in food preparation at school and home
- how they thought about a product that Sethmi could make
- how they came up with the idea to approach a food-based business for an opportunity for Sethmi to sell her product
- what this opportunity has taught Sethmi’s family about Sethmi
- what they will be exploring in the future.
Conference replay is now available
If you weren’t able to attend the Opening Opportunities conference in May 2023, we have some good news for you.
For a limited time, every presentation is available to watch online, on-demand, and for free. All you have to do is register.