Thank you for your interest in the School to Work Project and for registering to attend this on-demand event. This page houses the webinar that was designed for students in Years 7 and 8, and for students in upper primary school.
On this page, you’ll find
- the replay of our August 2021 webinar
- a selection of resources that we hope you’ll find helpful.
Important: All of the references that were referenced in the video have been added to the page below the video. We will not be sending these resources by email as was stated in some of the series videos.
You have until 5:00 PM AEDT on Sunday, 21 November to review the replays and resources.
We’d Love to Get Your Feedback
Please let us know what you thought of this presentation. Your feedback helps us to improve our webinars.
Replay of the Webinar
- Playing time: 70 minutes
Our Core Beliefs
The Good Things in Life
- Playing time: 00:03:31
- During the presentation, we started the video at the 00:02:15 mark
- In this section, both Ann and Jan mentioned “SRV” or Social Role Valorisation. SRV forms the foundation of all of the work that we do at Imagine More. If you are interested in learning more about SRV, please explore our Social Role Valorisation Resources page.
The vision of a positive life can become a compass to navigate towards a rich and varied life that includes meaningful employment.
Wendy Stroeve: Clarity of Vision
In this video, Wendy Stroeve explains the importance of having a clear vision about the kind of life a person with disability wants to achieve.
- Playing time: 00:15:08
Explore some examples of Vision Statements
Where to Start: The Ordinary Path
Explore other examples of customised employment in our website’s Employment Resources section.
The Hiring Chain
- Playing time: 00:01:44
Let’s Get to Work: Zellner Services
- Playing time: 00:06:10
Examples of Interests leading to employment
Community Asset Mapping
- Visit the Community Services ACT website to learn more about the rules for the employment of children and young people
Having Conversations with Others
Using strength and role-based language and embedding positive attributes and interests paints a picture of who the person is.
Instead of this…
My daughter with Autism
My daughter, Beth
He needs support to…
A real body talker
She loves painting
She’s an artist
He’s 15 but he functions at a 10-year-old level
My son is a teenager, he’s 15
Be Open to Possibilities
- Playing time: 00:04:13
Things to think about as you watch this video
- Notice the way the CSIRO customised the interview process
- Be open to role possibilities in industries where the majority of tasks are highly technical, including science
- It’s important to intentionally foster a sense of belonging between the person and their team members. Look for the natural social times like morning tea/lunches.
Other Resources Mentioned in the Webinar
Events That May Be of Interest
If you are not already receiving our digital newsletters, please consider joining our mailing list so that you receive information about interesting events like the following:
Get That Good Life! Conference On-Demand
Our annual conference was held in October 2021. You can still register to watch replays of most sessions. They will be available on-demand and for free until Sunday, November 29, 2021.
Please feel free to contact Fiona, our School to Work Project Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org